What did the French call their territory along the Mississippi river?

What did the French call the Mississippi River?

The Mississippi, otherwise called by the French, the Saint Louis River, river in North America, the most considerable part in Louisiana, which is crosses from one side to the other up until its outlet into the sea. The Encyclopédie’s entry date is 1765, a year after St.

What area near the Mississippi River did the French settle and name for their king?

Ten years later, in 1682, Robert Cavalier Sieur de La Salle and a larger party of explorers followed much the same route as Marquette and Jolliet. But La Salle’s journey brought him all the way to the Gulf of Mexico; where he claimed the Mississippi River Valley for his King and named it in his honor, Louisiana.

What was the first name of the Mississippi river?

Answer: The Native American communities that used the river for transportation and food long before any European knew of its existence called the massive river “The Father of Waters,” or Misi Sipi (Big River).

What is the name given to a French overseas territory in French?

Often named by the acronym DROM-COM, the ‘Overseas Departments and Regions – Overseas Collectivities’ refer collectively to all land under French sovereignty outside mainland France: The Islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint-Martin, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint Pierre and Miquelon (Atlantic Ocean)

THIS IS FUNNING:  You asked: How many French know German?

Who did the French colonize?

Other African countries colonized by France include Gambia, Chad, Mali, Togo, Sudan, Gabon, Tunisia, Niger, Republic of Congo, Cameroon, and several others. In North America, France colonized the New France region, Newfoundland, and resent day Haiti.

How did the French get the Louisiana Territory?

Napoleonic France Acquires Louisiana

On October 1, 1800, within 24 hours of signing a peace settlement with the United States, First Consul of the Republic of France Napoleon Bonaparte, acquired Louisiana from Spain by the secret Treaty of San Ildefonso.